During your stay at Belle Hearth Bed and Breakfast in Shenandoah, Virginia, you will never run out of things to see and do here in this scenic and diverse valley. The Shenandoah National Park nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains provides opportunities for all kinds of great outdoor activities: hiking, biking, bird watching, fishing and more. Enjoy a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or go exploring on country roads. You'll be delighted as you discover local treasures around every bend. Check out these links to find out more about traveling and sightseeing in the Shenandoah Valley. Also be sure to take a look at our current getaway packages and specials, and start planning your Virginia vacation today!
Events in May 2013
May 4 - Indoor Yard Sale and Market at Augusta Expo; 7am -1pm.
May 4 - Frontier Culture Museum Mayday Festival; regular admission; www.frontiermuseum.org.
May 10-11-12 - Shenandoah Antiques Expo at Augusta Expoland; www.augustaexpo.com.
May 11 & 12 - Crozet Arts and Crafts Festival; 10am - 6pm; $6.00 admission; over 100 juried artist. www.crozetfestival.com.
May 11 - 2013 Waynesboro Motor Sports Show; Constitution Park; FREE; food, music and vendors and lots of antique cars to muscle cars to today's custom show cars. www.waynesboromotorsports.com.
May 17 & 18 - 21st Annual Shenandoah District Auction and sale @ Rockingham County Fairgrounds in Harrisonburg; Arts, crafts, silent auction, food, an auction of quilts and handmade furniture; www.shencob.org.
May 18 - Ashlawn Highlands 19th Annual Virginia Wine Fest; Admission $20; held on the grounds of President James Monroe's home; for more info call 434-293-8000.
May 25 - Monticello Tour of Gardens and Herbs with discussion of their uses in early American Gardens; $ 15; Starts at 9am www.monticello.org.
May 25 & 26 - Wintergreen Festival of Wine at the Evans Center; admission $20 for one day and $35 for both days; www.wintergreenperformingarts.org.
May 25 & 26 - Art in the Park at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton; art, food, music; 10am - 6pm.
Coming in June
June 1 - Extreme Fest in Waynesboro Ridgeview Park; 10am - 5pm.
June 15 - Grand Caverns Heritage Day; 10am; crafts, history and exhibits.
June 29 - Shenandoah Wine and Jazz Fest at Frontier Culture Museum; $20; 2pm - 8pm
June 28-30 - Gem and Jewelry Show at Augusta Expo.
Coming in July
**Starry Nights At Veritas Winery in Afton
**P. Buckley moss Open House and Barn Show
**Waynesboro Summer Extravaganza & fireworks at Ridgeview Park
**Wintergreen Summer Music Festival
* Every 1st and 3rd Friday - FREE wine tasting at River City Art & Wine Emporium in Waynesboro.
All Year round - Drive the picturesque Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway (only 3 miles from our inn). Enjoy the beautiful vistas, hike the Appalachian Trail, visit numerous wineries, the historic town of Staunton asnd much more!
- Also the Waynesboro public library shows free movies every second and last Fridays of each month. Free popcorn and drinks. Films start at 7pm.
Art , Museums & History
- P. Buckley Moss Museum - semi annual barn shows & signings
- Shenandoah Valley Art Center
- Waynesboro Heritage Museum - features revolving exhibits as well as artifacts from Waynesboro's Archives and Artifacts Collection. Open Tuesday - Saturday 9am - 5pm
- Nan Rothwell Pottery in Nellysford, VA; http://www.nanrothwellpottery.com/
- November 9 and 10, 2013; 10am - 5pm Artisan Studio Tour in Charlottesville; http://www.artisanstudiotour.com/ for more information and dates.
Civil War History
- Civil War battlefields - http://www.civilwartrails.org
- Civil War podcast site for maps and audio tours of Shenandoah Valley battles- www.civilwartraveler.com
- Plumb House - site of battle of the Valley in 1865
- Civil War Sesquicentennial Commemoration - this year marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Information about specific events and programs available at www.virginiacivilwar.org.
Antiques & Shopping
- Augusta Expoland in Fisherville
- Factory Antique Mall in Verona: http://www.factoryantiquemall.com/
- Stuarts Draft Antique Mall: http://www.stuartsdraftantiquemall.com/
- Green Valley Auctions in Mt. Crawford: http://www.greenvalleyauctions.com/.
Quilting and Needleworks
- Crossstich Station in Waynesboro
- Virginia Quilt Museum in Harrisonburg; http://www.vaquiltmuseum.org/
- Visit http://www.rachelsquiltpatch.com/
Gardens and Nurseries
- Andre Viette Farm and Nursery in Fisherville: http://www.viette.com/
- Milmont Nursery in Stuarts Draft
- White Oak Lavender Farm in Harrisonburg: http://www.whiteoaklavender.com/
Horseback riding trails
- Keezlenutten Farm - http://www.keezlenuttenfarm.com
- North Mountain Outfitters
- Star "B" Stables- 540-885-8855
For the Adventurer
- Skyline Drive, updated road conditions at www.nps.gov/shenor call 540-999-3500 and the Blue Ridge Parkway, where vibrant scenes of nature and wildlife abound before your eyes.
- Grand Caverns
- Appalachian Trail - 3 miles from Inn
- George Washington National Forest
- Hot Air Balloon Rides at www.blueridgeballoon.com
- Canoeing, rafting, kayaking, tubing/go to www.jamesriver.com or www.canoevirginia.net
- Wintergreen Resort (four seasons) -skiing, golf, tennis, horseback riding
- Massanutten Ski Resort and Water park
- Sherando Lake State Park and Hiking trails
- Eagles Nest Airport - scenic air tours of area
- Afton, Virginia-site of several wineries-only minutes away
- Maize Quest @ Bridgmont Farm- http://www.getlostinthecorn.com/ Open early September thru November
- Great Fly fishing waterways within a short drive: Mossey Creek, one of Virginia's top fishing area, the South River (home of the VA Fly fishing Festival and the St. Mary's River.
- Great fly fishing gear and supplies as well a guides and advice, go to www.southriverflyshop.com or visit them at their store on Main Street in Waynesboro.
- Fly Fishing Lessons on the South River with "Chubby" Damron of Mountain Trout Outfitters; 434-882-3477
- To see what's happening at 36 of Virginia's State parks go to www.virginiaoutdoors.com where you can also download maps of park areas
- Take a scenic loop through Nelson County's bounty of natural, cultural and historic resources. www.nelsonscenicloop.com
Wineries and Micro Breweries
- Many local only minutes away! http://www.monticellowinetrail.com/ or http://www.virginiawine.org/.
- Relax and enjoy the fine wines at http://www.hilltopberrywine.com/
- Visit beautiful Veritas vineyard in nearby Afton; http://www.veritaswines.com/
- Enjoy Augusta County's Premier winerry at Barren Ridge; http://www.barrenridgevineyardsva.com
- Wintergreen Wine Festival - June
- Information on local breweries at http://www.brewridgetrail.com
- The Blue Toad on Rt. 151; offering "Hop & Vine" Tours. www.thebluetoad.com.
- Fishburne Military School
- Walking Ghost Tours in Staunton; http://www.ghostsofstaunton.com/
- Stone Soup Books - a charming place to have a light lunch and check out that book you wanted
- The River City Art and Wine Emporium offers our guest a 10% discount on their fine wines and other libations at 407 W. Main Street in Waynesboro. Visit or call 540-943-6418.
- Natural Chimneys State Regional Park
- Virginia Horse Center
- Natural Bridge National Park
- Hawk Watching
- Golf- go to http://www.virginiasgolf.com/
- B &B Guide for Bikers go to Bed Breakfast and Biking
- Waynesboro - calendar of events
- Historic Walking Tours of New Market, Virginia, from colonial times to the present. March-October; daily at 10:30am, except Wed. and Sunday. 20% discount to Belle Hearth guests. 24 hour notice needed; reservations required.
- Mountain Side Petting Farm- close by in Afton; open Friday - Sunday 10am - 5pm; www.mountainsidepettingfarm.com
- Battle of Waynesboro - March
- RiverFest - April
- Virginia Fly Fishing Tournament - April 20 & 21, 2013
- Tour of Virginia Bike Race - April
- Victorian Fest in Staunton - April
- Annual Main Street Muscle Car Show - May
- Shenandoah Spring Antiques Expo - May - One of the largest gatherings of antique dealers & collectors on the East Coast covering 3 days
- Soap Box Derby Regional Finals - May
- Summer Extravaganza - July
- Augusta Expo Huge Outdoor Yard Sale - August
- Gem Show - October
- Apple Days Festival - October
- Shenandoah Fall Antiques Expo - October - Virginia's most exciting antique event
- Fall Foliage Festival - October 12 & 13, 2013
- Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival
- Fall Art Show - October - a 2 day show with artists and crafters in the streets of Waynesboro
- Fall/Winter Craft Shows - November
- Christmas Parade - 1st Saturday in December
Attractions within one half hour:
Waynesboro is only minutes from: Humpback Rock and the Humpback Rock Farm, one of the most popular attractions on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Charlottesville (22 miles east): Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson; Ashlawn, home of James Monroe; Michie Tavern; University of Virginia; lots of shopping
- Staunton (12 miles west): Woodrow Wilson birthplace museum; American Frontier Culture Museum; Mary Baldwin College; Black Friars Playhouse (nationally renowned Shakespearean Theater); Guided tours of these and other Staunton area attractions with Staunton Virginia Guide Tours. For more information go to http://www.stauntonguidedtours.com/
- Harrisonburg (30 miles north on Int. 81): James Madison University; Endless Caverns: Green Valley Book Fair; Virginia Quilt Museum; Luray Zoo
- Antique Malls - you could shop all day!!