During your stay at Belle Hearth Bed and Breakfast in Shenandoah, Virginia, you will never run out of things to see and do here in this scenic and diverse valley. The Shenandoah National Park nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains provides opportunities for all kinds of great outdoor activities: hiking, biking, bird watching, fishing and more. Enjoy a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or go exploring on country roads. You'll be delighted as you discover local treasures around every bend. Check out these links to find out more about traveling and sightseeing in the Shenandoah Valley. Also be sure to take a look at our current getaway packages and specials, and start planning your Virginia vacation today!
Events for March & April 2015*******************************************************************
March 14-15 & 21-22 - 57th annual Highland Maple Fest in Monterey,VA; 8:30am - 4pm; FREE;arts & crafts, maple donuts,music; visit http://www.highlandcounty.org
March 18-22 - Virginia Festival of the Book; www.vabook.org.
March 20-22 - 31st Annual Home and Garden show; Augusta Expo; $2 admission; www.augustaexpo.com.
April 11 & 12 - 15th Annual Fly fishing & Wine Festival in Waynesboro on the banks of the South River; 9am-5pm daily; $20 admission; Free wine tasting with admission; http://www.vaflyfishingfestival.org.
April 18 &19 - Spring Art & Crafts Festival; over 100 vendors; admission $2 or can food; Augusta Expo.
April18-25 - Historic Garden Week; various locations; www.vagardenweek.org
April 25 & 26 - 13th Annual Virginia Hot Glass festival @ Sunspots Studios in Staunton; FREE; Sat. 9am-5pm and Sun. 10am - 5pm; www.sunspots.com.
April 25 & 26 - Battle of Waynesboro Reenactments; www.waynesboroheritagefoundation.com
All Year round - Drive the picturesque Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway (only 3 miles from our inn). Enjoy the beautiful vistas, hike the Appalachian Trail, visit numerous wineries, the historic town of Staunton asnd much more!
- Also the Waynesboro public library shows free movies every second and last Fridays of each month. Free popcorn and drinks. Films start at 7pm.
Art , Museums & History
- P. Buckley Moss Museum Downtown Gallery
- Shenandoah Valley Art Center
- Waynesboro Heritage Museum - features revolving exhibits as well as artifacts from Waynesboro's Archives and Artifacts Collection. Open Tuesday - Saturday 9am - 5pm
- Nan Rothwell Pottery in Nellysford, VA; http://www.nanrothwellpottery.com/
Civil War History
- Civil War battlefields - http://www.civilwartrails.org
- Civil War podcast site for maps and audio tours of Shenandoah Valley battles- www.civilwartraveler.com
- Plumb House - site of battle of the Valley in 1865
- Civil War Sesquicentennial Commemoration - this year marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Information about specific events and programs available at www.virginiacivilwar.org.
Antiques & Shopping
- Augusta Expoland in Fisherville
- Factory Antique Mall in Verona: http://www.factoryantiquemall.com/
- Stuarts Draft Antique Mall: http://www.stuartsdraftantiquemall.com/
- Green Valley Auctions in Mt. Crawford: http://www.greenvalleyauctions.com/.
Quilting and Needleworks
- Crossstich Station in Waynesboro
- Virginia Quilt Museum in Harrisonburg; http://www.vaquiltmuseum.org/
- Visit http://www.rachelsquiltpatch.com/
Gardens and Nurseries
- Andre Viette Farm and Nursery in Fisherville: http://www.viette.com/
- Milmont Nursery in Stuarts Draft
- White Oak Lavender Farm in Harrisonburg: http://www.whiteoaklavender.com/
- James Madison University Carter Arboreteum; http://www.jmu.edu/arboreteum
Horseback riding trails
- Keezlenutten Farm - http://www.keezlenuttenfarm.com
- North Mountain Outfitters
- Star "B" Stables- 540-885-8855
For the Adventurer
- Skyline Drive, updated road conditions at www.nps.gov/shen or call 540-999-3500 and the Blue Ridge Parkway, where vibrant scenes of nature and wildlife abound before your eyes.
- Grand Caverns
- Hiking trails abound/ go to www.hikingupward.com for abundance of information about trails
- Appalachian Trail - 3 miles from Inn
- George Washington National Forest
- Hot Air Balloon Rides at www.blueridgeballoon.com
- Canoeing, rafting, kayaking, tubing/go to www.jamesriver.com or www.canoevirginia.net
- Wintergreen Resort (four seasons) -skiing, golf, tennis, horseback riding
- Massanutten Ski Resort and Water park
- Sherando Lake State Park and Hiking trails
- Eagles Nest Airport - scenic air tours of area
- Afton, Virginia-site of several wineries-only minutes away
- Maize Quest @ Bridgmont Farm- http://www.getlostinthecorn.com/ Open early September thru November
- Great Fly fishing waterways within a short drive: Mossey Creek, one of Virginia's top fishing area, the South River (home of the VA Fly fishing Festival and the St. Mary's River.
- Great fly fishing gear and supplies as well a guides and advice, go to www.southriverflyshop.com or visit them at their store on Main Street in Waynesboro.
- Fly Fishing Lessons on the South River with "Chubby" Damron of Mountain Trout Outfitters; 434-882-3477
- To see what's happening at 36 of Virginia's State parks go to www.virginiaoutdoors.com where you can also download maps of park areas
- Take a scenic loop through Nelson County's bounty of natural, cultural and historic resources. www.nelsonscenicloop.com
Wineries and Micro Breweries
- Many local only minutes away! http://www.monticellowinetrail.com/ or http://www.virginiawine.org/.
- Enjoy fine brews,great food and fantastic vistas at Blue Mountain Brewery
- Another great place for good food and local beer is Wild Wolf Brewery
- Relax and enjoy the fine wines at http://www.hilltopberrywine.com/
- Visit beautiful Veritas vineyard in nearby Afton; http://www.veritaswines.com/
- Enjoy Augusta County's Premier winerry at Barren Ridge; http://www.barrenridgevineyardsva.com
- Wintergreen Wine Festival - June
- Information on local breweries at http://www.brewridgetrail.com
- The Blue Toad on Rt. 151; offering "Hop & Vine" Tours. www.thebluetoad.com.
Special Interests and Classes
- Fishburne Military School
- Learn traditional blacksmithing within walking distance of our inn; for more exciting information go to www.vablacksmithing.org
- Walking Ghost Tours in Staunton; http://www.ghostsofstaunton.com/
- Stone Soup Books - a charming place to have a light lunch and check out that book you wanted
- The River City Art and Wine Emporium offers our guest a 10% discount on their fine wines and other libations at 407 W. Main Street in Waynesboro. Visit or call 540-943-6418.
- Natural Chimneys State Regional Park
- Virginia Horse Center
- Natural Bridge National Park
- Hawk Watching
- Golf- go to http://www.virginiasgolf.com/
- B &B Guide for Bikers go to Bed Breakfast and Biking
- Waynesboro - calendar of events
- Historic Walking Tours of New Market, Virginia, from colonial times to the present. March-October; daily at 10:30am, except Wed. and Sunday. 20% discount to Belle Hearth guests. 24 hour notice needed; reservations required.
- Mountain Side Petting Farm- close by in Afton; open Friday - Sunday 10am - 5pm; www.mountainsidepettingfarm.com
- Battle of Waynesboro - March
- RiverFest - April
- Virginia Fly Fishing Tournament - April 2015
- Tour of Virginia Bike Race - April
- Victorian Fest in Staunton - April
- Annual Main Street Muscle Car Show - May
- Shenandoah Spring Antiques Expo - May - One of the largest gatherings of antique dealers & collectors on the East Coast covering 3 days
- Soap Box Derby Regional Finals - May
- Summer Extravaganza - July
- Augusta Expo Huge Outdoor Yard Sale - August
- Gem Show - October
- Vintage Apple Days - November www.albemarleciderworks.com
- Shenandoah Fall Antiques Expo - October - Virginia's most exciting antique event
- Fall Foliage Festival - October 2015
- Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival
- Fall Art Show - October - a 2 day show with artists and crafters in the streets of Waynesboro
- Fall/Winter Craft Shows - November
- Christmas Parade - 1st Saturday in December
Attractions within one half hour:
Waynesboro is only minutes from: Humpback Rock and the Humpback Rock Farm, one of the most popular attractions on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Charlottesville (22 miles east): Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson; Ashlawn, home of James Monroe; Michie Tavern; University of Virginia; lots of shopping
- Staunton (12 miles west): Woodrow Wilson birthplace museum; American Frontier Culture Museum; Mary Baldwin College; Black Friars Playhouse (nationally renowned Shakespearean Theater); Guided tours of these and other Staunton area attractions with Staunton Virginia Guide Tours. For more information go to http://www.stauntonguidedtours.com/
- Harrisonburg (30 miles north on Int. 81): James Madison University; Endless Caverns: Green Valley Book Fair; Virginia Quilt Museum; Luray Zoo
- Antique Malls - you could shop all day!!