The Shenandoah National Park nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains provides opportunities for all kinds of great outdoor activities: hiking, biking, bird watching, fishing and more.
Enjoy a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or go exploring on country roads. You’ll be delighted as you discover local treasures around every bend.
Enjoy the beautiful vistas, hike the Appalachian Trail, visit numerous wineries, the historic town of Staunton asnd much more!
Also the Waynesboro Public Library shows free movies every second and last Fridays of each month. Free popcorn and drinks. Films start at 7pm.
To find out what’s happening in the Shenandoah Valley click on:
For information on Fall Foliage and conditions on Blue Ridge Parkway click on: Blue Ridge Parkway Tracker
Art , Museums, Live Theater & History
- P. Buckley Moss Museum Downtown Gallery
- Shenandoah Valley Art Center
- Waynesboro Heritage Museum – features revolving exhibits as well as artifacts from Waynesboro’s Archives and Artifacts Collection. Open Tuesday – Saturday 9am – 5pm
- WAYNE THEATER– Waynesboro’s 90 year old theater revitalized into a state of the art theater with live performances, lectures, movies and more
Civil War History
- Civil War battlefields
- Civil War Traveler news for all areas
- Civil War podcast site for maps and audio tours of Shenandoah Valley battles
- Plumb House – site of battle of the Valley in 1865
Antiques & Shopping
- Augusta Expoland in Fisherville
- Factory Antique Mall in Verona
- Stuarts Draft Antique Mall
- Green Valley Auctions in Mt. Crawford
Quilting and Needleworks
Gardens and Nurseries
- Andre Viette Farm and Nursery in Fisherville
- Milmont Nursery in Stuarts Draft
- White Oak Lavender Farm in Harrisonburg
- James Madison University Carter Arboreteum
Horseback Riding Trails and Farms
- A Better Way Farm– a family farm offering fun, casual interactive tours where guest get to have hands on time with a variety of animals.
- North Mountain Outfitter
- Fields of Gold; discover the home-grown side of Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley.
- See the valley along with some vineyards on horseback with Rebels Run ; 703-623-5243
For the Adventurer
- Skyline Drive, updated road conditions at www.nps.gov/shen or call 540-999-3500 and the Blue Ridge Parkway, where vibrant scenes of nature and wildlife abound before your eyes.
- Grand Caverns
- Hiking trails abound/ go to www.hikingupward.com for abundance of information about trails
- Appalachian Trail – 3 miles from Inn
- George Washington National Forest
- Hot Air Balloon Rides at www.blueridgeballoon.com
- Canoeing, rafting, kayaking, tubing/go to www.jamesriver.com or www.canoevirginia.net
- Wintergreen Resort (four seasons) -skiing, golf, tennis, horseback riding
- Massanutten Ski Resort and Water park
- Sherando Lake State Park and Hiking trails
- Eagles Nest Airport – scenic air tours of area
- Afton, Virginia-site of several wineries-only minutes away
- Maize Quest @ Bridgmont Farm- http://www.getlostinthecorn.com/ Open early September thru November
- Great Fly fishing waterways within a short drive: Mossey Creek, one of Virginia’s top fishing area, the South River (home of the VA Fly fishing Festival and the St. Mary’s River.
- Great fly fishing gear and supplies as well a guides and advice, go to www.southriverflyshop.com or visit them at their store on Main Street in Waynesboro.
- To see what’s happening at 36 of Virginia’s State parks go to www.virginiaoutdoors.com where you can also download maps of park areas
- Take a scenic loop through Nelson County’s bounty of natural, cultural and historic resources. www.nelsonscenicloop.com.
Wineries and Micro Breweries
- Nelson County boasts 7 wineries, 3 breweries, 1 cidery and one distillery on Rt. 151/ Nelson 151 for a complete list and map
- Many other local wineries only minutes away! www.monticellowinetrail.com or www.virginiawine.org.
- Enjoy fine brews,great food and fantastic vistas at Blue Mountain Brewery
- Another great place for good food and local beer is Wild Wolf Brewery
- Relax and enjoy the fine wines at www.hilltopberrywine.com
- Visit beautiful Veritas vineyard in nearby Afton; www.veritaswines.com
- Enjoy Augusta County’s Premier winerry at Barren Ridge; http://www.barrenridgevineyardsva.com
- Wintergreen Wine Festival – June
- Information on local breweries at www.brewridgetrail.com.
- Enjoy some of the Valley’s finest breweries on the http://www.beerwerkstrail.com
Special Interests and Classes
- Fishburne Military School
- Learn traditional blacksmithing within walking distance of our inn; for more exciting information go to www.vablacksmithing.org
- Walking Ghost Tours in Staunton; www.ghostsofstaunton.com.
- Natural Chimneys State Regional Park
- Virginia Horse Center
- Natural Bridge National Park
- Hawk Watching
- Golf- go to www.virginiasgolf.com
- B &B Guide for Bikers go to Bed Breakfast and Biking
- Waynesboro – calendar of events
- Historic Walking Tours of New Market, Virginia, from colonial times to the present. March-October; daily at 10:30am, except Wed. and Sunday. 20% discount to Belle Hearth guests. 24 hour notice needed; reservations required.
- Mountain Side Petting Farm- close by in Afton; open Friday – Sunday 10am – 5pm; www.mountainsidepettingfarm.com.
- Battle of Waynesboro – March
- RiverFest – April
- Tour of Virginia Bike Race – April
- Victorian Fest in Staunton – April
- Annual Main Street Muscle Car Show – May
- Shenandoah Spring Antiques Expo – May – One of the largest gatherings of antique dealers & collectors on the East Coast covering 3 days
- Soap Box Derby Regional Finals – May
- Summer Extravaganza – July
- Augusta Expo Huge Outdoor Yard Sale – August
- Gem Show – October
- Vintage Apple Days – November www.albemarleciderworks.com
- Shenandoah Fall Antiques Expo – October – Virginia’s most exciting antique event
- Fall Foliage Festival – October 2015
- Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival
- Fall Art Show – October – a 2 day show with artists and crafters in the streets of Waynesboro
- Fall/Winter Craft Shows – November
- Christmas Parade – 1st Saturday in December
Attractions Within One-Half Hour
Waynesboro is only minutes from: Humpback Rock and the Humpback Rock Farm, one of the most popular attractions on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Charlottesville (22 miles east): Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson; Ashlawn, home of James Monroe; Michie Tavern; University of Virginia; lots of shopping
- Staunton (12 miles west): Woodrow Wilson birthplace museum; American Frontier Culture Museum; Mary Baldwin College; Black Friars Playhouse (nationally renowned Shakespearean Theater); Guided tours of these and other Staunton area attractions with Staunton Virginia Guide Tours. For more information go to http://www.stauntonguidedtours.com/
- Harrisonburg (30 miles north on Int. 81): James Madison University; Endless Caverns: Green Valley Book Fair; Virginia Quilt Museum; Luray Zoo
- Antique Malls – you could shop all day!!